Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Reverb 10 - Prompt #20

December 20 – Beyond Avoidance. What should you have done this year but didn’t because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? (Bonus: Will you do it?) (Author: Jake Nickell)

Wow - great prompt, Jake!  This prompt is one that gets right in your face and makes you take a good, hard, honest look at yourself.  It's no different for me - I'm starting with the Chicken Wing in the mirror (...and I'm asking her to change her ways.  No message could have been any clearer.  If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and then MAKE THAT CHANGE!).  Sorry for digressing, but I couldn't stop til I got enough.  Ha!

He-He!  Ow!
I think the constant "what I should have done" for me this year was to be more confrontational.  I should have been more in my own corner than I was.  I get caught up oftentimes in being there for other people much more than I'm there for myself, and that's actually not always a good thing. 

I should have stood up for myself when people did me wrong.  I should have fought for things that I thought I deserved.  I should have been more direct when stating my wishes and wants.  I'm sure fear had something to do with some of these instances, and I think simply being uncomfortable had a lot to do with it too. 

BONUS:  I will be better at this, and have already seen growth in this department.  I've had a few situations recently that needed to be handled with grace, poise, and direct response, and I think I accomplished that!  I try my hardest not to be an avoider because I know as well as the next girl that it really solves nothing.  There's nothing wrong with taking a time-out to get a cleansing breath and a fresh set of thoughts, but if you just talk yourself out of talking it out, you're usually the lesser for it.

Until next time,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...