Saturday, January 15, 2011

Reverb 10 - Prompt #30

December 30 – Gift. This month, gifts and gift-giving can seem inescapable. What’s the most memorable gift, tangible or emotional, you received this year? (Author: Holly Root)

While I have had to really buckle down and think on a lot of these prompts, this one is actually incredibly easy for me.  I have received the same gift over and over in the past year, and it never gets old.  This is one gift that I have never wanted to return.


There were plenty of things that were bound and determined to break me last year.  There were plenty of times when I could have easily chosen to give up and wallow in puddles of grief and self-loathing.  Because of this gift that I was given so often last year, though, I never even considered those options.

This gift was given to me in many different ways.  One of the ways I found most surprising was via facebook.  I have never been so shocked or so humbled by the amount of love and support that was sent to me.  Whether you did it by posting on my wall, commenting on one of my posts, or sending me encouraging messages, I was so incredibly touched by every single one.

People whom I had assumed could care less about me actually cared more.  Some folks I hadn't even spoken to in YEARS reached out to me at one time or another.  There were so many people who sent well-wishes and took precious time out of their days to lift me up.  I cannot say thank you enough.

Then there were the more traditional ways of support - cards (actually sent by snail mail - YAY!) and phone calls, and emails, too.  These also meant so much to me and I couldn't believe that in a nation as time-starved as ours, that people would even have the time to devote to sending me love and support.

There were the personal face-to-face interactions, as well.  The hugs.  The presenting of tissues.  The sending of flowers.  The shoulders that were offered.  The jokes that were told.  The invitations to events that were extended.  The times that kept me busy and kept me sane that were shared.  I have always been one of the most blessed and lucky girls I know, and this year only furthered that fact for me.

I know without second thought or reservation that love and support were the best gifts I could have ever received last year, and I am so grateful that I have so many people in my life who are so incredibly generous.  I love and appreciate each and every one of you so very much, and I know I don't communicate that often enough.  I hope that if any of you ever need me, you know that I am here and will be here for you.

Thanks a million, Peeps.

Until next time,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...