Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Thank You Note to God

Dear God,

Being as this time of year always makes me feel closest to You, I thought I would write You a Thank You note.  If there is anyone more deserving of this type of correspondence, I genuinely have no clue who it would be.  Here goes nothing.

Thank You for the GORGEOUS display of changing leaves this year!  I thoroughly enjoyed every drive I took this fall because of the incredible colors.  I especially appreciated the amazingly vibrant colored skies You threw in as an added bonus.  Thank You for my family, my friends, my jobs, my furbabies, and for the little rented space I call home.  Thank You for my health.

Thank You for leading me into a new church that has honestly felt personal to me each Sunday.  It's always refreshing when the sermon feels like it was written just for you, and I know I wasn't the only member of the congregation who felt that way.  I'd been on the hunt for a new church to revive my structured relationship with You, and I feel much happier now that I've tried new places.

Thank You for helping me overcome obstacles this year, even when I questioned whether my strength would be able to sustain me in some of those instances.  (I later came to the realization that it didn't matter if I had strength left because You would always sustain me).  Thank You for answering some of my prayers, and for purposely ignoring other requests that I know I prayed entirely too hard for.  Thank You for educating me that it's not my place to try to force something I want, but that it's so much sweeter when I simply relax and let the plans You have for me play out.

Thank You for welcoming my darling Papa into your Kingdom of Heaven.  I should also thank You for being there for all of us as we embarked upon the journeys that are Alzheimer's disease and cancer.  It was very taxing at times, and no matter how dark things became, You never failed us.  Thank You for letting him pass on so peacefully after enduring so very much while fighting to live.  This will be our first holiday season without Papa, Lord, so I will again ask You to be there for us and look over us as I know this will be tough.  Thank You for welcoming my wonderful Uncle Deano into Heaven, as well.  Our family lost some of its best men, but I know they will have the most wonderful Thanksgiving of all at Your table, Lord.

Thank You for teaching my family resilience, once again.  We need to be reminded how to face fear and death and hard times, and the only way to be reminded is to go through them once again.  Although I doubt anyone would ever volunteer to go through those things, I have come to learn in hindsight that these experiences are more blessings from You in that they cause us to learn.

Thank You for making me into the woman I am today.  I know that every decision I've ever made has not been without Your watchful eye, and I know that I would not have been ready to receive the blessings You've bestowed upon me without Your continual grooming.  Thank You for the tests You put me through, and the supposed "failures" I faced.  Thank You for encouraging me to push on when I had "decided" I'd had enough.  Thank You for laughing at me when I made plans, and for reminding me that there is only one plan I should be worried about - Yours.

Finally, thank You for the newest blessing in my life.  I call him Comanche around here.  Thank You for showing me that all my struggles were worth it.  Thank You for believing I was ready for something really grand.  Thank You for opening up the "Big Picture" for me and for letting me in on the secret.  Thank You for the genuinely happy feeling I get every time he takes hold of my hand, and for the smile that has consistently been on my face since the first day I met him.  Thank You for this incredible gift - I really don't know how to say thanks enough for that.

P.S. - Happy Thanksgiving, Lord!


Your Servant,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...