Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I've Been Thinking ...

With Valentine's Day just around the corner, I have been thinking about the day and what it means to me. I've mentioned before that the primary reason I celebrate this holiday is because it happens to be my mother's birthday!

As far as love goes, I am just of the belief that when you are in a relationship, you need to do your very best to make your partner feel special and loved every day.

While Valentine's Day is a very cute and potentially heartfelt holiday, I am perfectly content to leave it as my mom's birthday.  I do plan to put together a small gift for Comanche and we do plan to spend time together, but what I want to talk about today is a special project I'm working on.

Love the Retro Camera app on my Android phone!  So cute!!!

Take a look at my handy dandy notebook (thank you, Blues Clues for the reference)! On the very first page are written just three words: The Little Things.  Basically, I am taking the time to jot down some of the things that have genuinely touched me that Comanche has done since the start of our relationship.

The idea for this came about after different conversations I've had with girlfriends who are "further along" in their relationships.  I love to talk with people who have been there and who have some life experience - their stories are fascinating!  During one of these conversations, the topic turned to Comanche and me - I was asked what I like about him, and I responded by recounting some of my favorite memories of things he had done for me.  My girlfriend then said, "Wow, those are the cutest stories ever.  I wish I had written down the sweet things my husband did for me when we first started dating - heck, I should write it down now every time he does something sweet!"

Boom.  The plan was formed.  I'm still in a "new" relationship, and I can still remember the sweet things that Comanche has done.  So, the handy dandy notebook and I started our journey, and I have to admit - I've smiled with every entry.  Some entries simply consist of a bullet point and a phrase (such as "Two Words:  Flower Ninja").  Others are the full-on story of something thoughtful that touched my heart.

I am so grateful for the people who make my mind tick because I think this exercise will be so helpful to me in the future.  I mean, let's face it.  Fact:  there will come a time when you are not "over-the-moon-with-stars-in-your-eyes-in-love" with your partner.  Fact:  there will be a time when you are actually angry or upset with your partner.  Fact:  there will come a time when you lose sight of the big picture because you are stuck in a rut over-analyzing what's missing in your relationship.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a go-to guide of why you love and appreciate your partner?

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it. Not to mention, it's been a ton of fun so far, and a constant reminder of just how lucky I am. 

Have you ever had an idea like this one?  If so, please share!  I'm always looking for ways to capture the goodness that life has to offer us!

Until next time,
Miss Chicken Wing

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...