Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Good Food, Good Friends, Good Times

Sometimes in life, it's easy to forget the simple joys that can be found in friendships. Friendships are funny creatures. They take work, you see. This has been made exceptionally evident to me this year, it seems, as new friendships have been cultivated, old friendships have been nurtured, and some friendships have even been lost.

We'll start with the bad and end with the good because I am a sunny-side-up and glass-half-full kind of gal!

{Bad} When friendships are lost.

I recently experienced loss in two forms regarding friendships. One most permanent and painful loss of friendship was when my friend left this earth to be with his Maker. This type of loss is incredibly painful becuase of all that was never said and the knowledge that all that was not said can never be said. It's a terrible feeling, and has the power to bring a grown man to his knees, so you can imagine what it does to a little Chicken Wing.

The other kind of loss is less permanent (as in it has the potential to change), but hurts in the same way. This type of lost friendship happens when you are left by choice - which actually in some ways hurts more than when a friend is taken away. At least you don't feel as though they didn't want you anymore. I have experienced this type of loss recently. I liken this dissolution to that of a romantic relationship - you put a lot of time and effort, and most of all - love, into caring for another person, and it hurts when they decide not to return those endeavors to you.

I found that the most prominent feeling this type of loss bestowed upon me was disappointment. I wish things could be different. I'm not sure what happened to make them this way. There were no answers to my questions...no regard for my feelings at all, really. While I could choose to dwell on it and over-analyze every detail, I cannot see what good would come of that. I believe it would most likely only wear me out, and again - it would be putting effort into something that's not wanted by the other party sharing the friendship. So, I guess you can't win them all.


{Good} When friendships are made and nurtured.

For every bad time, you experience a good time to balance it out. My good times came with reconnecting with friends that I either (a.) haven't gotten to see very often or (b.) spend time with in spotty amounts. This past weekend, I got to hang out with them for hours, and it really helped to recharge my batteries even thought the weekend itself was non-stop activity.

I got to see a l m o s t every friend I wanted to see that came back to town for our college's 2010 Graduation. It was so nice to be able to see the faces of the ones that the college introduced me to years ago. When I saw their smiling faces, I was taken back to a happy place and time - a time when we thought we were stressed, and some of the best times of our lives.

Then, after that, I got to have an ULTIMATE game night with some friends from work and the area, and it was another epic adventure for us! You tell me if we had fun: food, volleyball, ping pong, pool, basketball, pictures, laughter, music, and dancing around! I would say BIG WIN!

Here are some shots of the game night, courtesy of my girlfriends J and L. Huge thanks to them for documenting all the fun! We DEFINITELY have to have more of these great times!


Photo by L: This is me and L! She now lives 4 hours away and came to town!


Photo by J: The work/area crew with Little Men!



Photo by J: Littlest Man Attacks Miss Chicken Wing's hair!



Photo by L: Me getting ready to work my laser rocket serve!



Photo by L: Almost everyone at the gathering!


Photo by J: Me and the Littlest Man after he woke up from his nap! Got to love your friends' adorable kids! They are the future generations of friends, and I absolutely adore them!

The thing I love most about get-togethers like this is that it's a great way to see a ton of friends at once! We're all there because we want to be, and our arms are always open to "newbies" who want to join the group! I know it sounds completely ridiculous to say, but I love friends. I love those who I call my friends, and I love the act of having friends. They are essential to life, in my opinion.

And the real kicker about friends? The reason why you should want to continually work on your friendships?

{Because friends are the family you chose.}

Until next time,
Miss Chicken Wing

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...