Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reverb 10 - Prompt #27

December 27 – Ordinary Joy. Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year? (Author: Brené Brown)

I have had several ordinary moments of profound joy in 2010.  Many of those were ordinary moments with my Papa before he passed away.  Whether we were talking, watching TV together, or eating something delicious that Grandma had made, they were all moments filled with joy and living in the present.

Others were ordinary moments spent with friends.  From group game nights to pre-wedding events, from dinners to movies, there were plenty of times in the past year that I was truly happy during ordinary times and thankful for the great people in my life that I have to make these types of memories with.

Others still were moments spent with family members.  Moments at home playing intense marathon games of Mexican dominoes.  Moments at the beach stuffing ourselves to the brim with seafood or delicious doughnuts.  Moments watching UNC games and getting into heated debates over what was going to happen.  Moments celebrating birthdays and holidays.  Moments where we had to lift each other up when things weren't going right.

Finally, there have been the moments with Comanche.  Most all of them have been moments of profound joy.  From every Sunday at church where I have a partner in worship to Friday night movie snuggle parties, there have been consistent smiles and fits of laughter.  One moment in particular where I was profoundly happy may seem odd to others, but I will share it here.

We were at Comanche's parents' house helping his father split up a large amount of wood that he needed to keep the house warm for the winter (and for the wicked awesome fire pit they had recently bought).  It was mildy chilly outside, but it was easy to lose the jackets once we really got to work.  In attendance were Comanche, Comanche's father, Comanche's older brother, Comanche's three little nephews (ages 9, 5, and 4), and one little Chicken Wing.

We worked for several hours, and the three grown men had the task of splitting the huge pieces.  Then, they passed the now smaller pieces to the oldest nephew, who then passed them to me.  I got the smaller boys involved by letting them point out where each piece should go, and we made a game of it.  They were so eager to help and they stayed out there the whole time!  What troopers they were!

I can see where it would be easy for someone to ask me why that moment would make me profoundly happy.  I can hear the eye rolls and thought bubbles now.  "Um, why would you want to run the risk of splinters and getting dirty?  Why would you want to be the only girl in the group?  Why wouldn't you rather be the one serving the sweet tea in this situation?"

Well, it was the first time that I've gotten to really participate in a "Be Dad's Little Helper" activity in many, many years.  Not only was I in that mindset, but all five of the boys who were also present felt exactly the same way.  I got to spend a day doing hard work, which is always rewarding in itself.  I knew I was helping someone with something that needed to be done.  I got to look over and be proud of my man for being a great son.  I could also see the pride in Comanche's father's eyes when he realized that his small army wasn't going anywhere until the job was done.

That's something I've been missing for a long time.  So, while it may be an odd choice, it is an ordinary moment that created profound happiness for me.  Lucky for me, I have been smart enough to take the time to notice and appreciate moments like that.  I've taken the time to analyze why they made me happy, and that makes me happier still.

How about you?  Have you had any moments of ordinary joy?

Until next time,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...