Friday, January 14, 2011

Reverb 10 - Prompt #29

December 29 – Defining Moment. Describe a defining moment or series of events that has affected your life this year. (Author: Kathryn Fitzmaurice)

I feel as if this post could be very repetitive of what I've already said in prior posts for Reverb 10.  In order to not have that happen, I am going to take a different and silly approach.  I would not want to bore my faithful readers who never. miss. a. post.  Which, if we're being honest, is all of you right?  RIGHT?

Just kidding.  A definining moment for me this year was when I discovered something incredible.  I discovered something that I had fought learning about for my entire life.  I was not given a choice but to try something, and I was nearly paralyzed with fear. In fact, I was even bribed in order to make me go ahead with it. Want to guess what it is?

Whatever you guessed is more than likely wrong, but that's okay.  Chicken Wing still loves you.

I discovered, through an adamant push by Comanche, that I like Japanese food.  There, I said it.

I can recall sooooo many times growing up in my tiny town when multiple couples would make the journey to the "big city" to go to a Japanese restaurant where they would cook right in front of you and do tricks with knives.  Scary, to me.  There would be a huge open flame practically right in your face.  Also scary, to me.  Truthfully, I never saw the thrill in it.  Driving an hour to eat something (should I make it through the multiple near-death experiences that were occuring directly in front of me) was never my first choice, after all.

I can honestly say that Comanche at first laughed when I recounted these memories.  Then, he realized that I wasn't joking that I had never had Japanese food.  So, he said that he just couldn't deal with that and literally drove me to a Japanese restaurant, minus the open flames part.  I was exceptionally nervous because I didn't want him to pay for something that I didn't like.  I didn't even know what I would like.

To say my palette is less than sophisticated would be a compliment too kind to deserve.  I'm a work in progress, but this is not something that I came out of the gate excelling in.

He even bribed me with cream cheese wontons.  {Pause for the "Oh, no he didn't."}

Come to mama. Right now. Drooooool.
Yeah, basically, it was on.  So, he ordered the Hibachi Chicken, complete with rice and what I learned was the mandatory "Yum Yum Sauce."  I couldn't help but think, "Seriously?"

You know what?  Boom.  In my face.  Yum Yum Sauce is, in fact, extremely yummy.  I get it.  I'm a believer.  Stop glaring at me. I plead ignorance.  No offense to anyone or any place, but my town had no stop lights.  That has to count for something!  Have mercy on me, people.

This was a defining moment for me for two reasons.  One:  I got my wontons!  VICTORY!  Two: I learned to embrace change yet again. 

I learned to try something new.  I learned to step outside of my comfort food and appreciate a new type of deliciousness.  I now would like to go to a restaurant and look fire and knives square in the eye.  I would also like more wontons.  And yum yum sauce.  I'm getting better about expanding my range as far as food goes, and I still have a long way to go.  But, the point, I think, is that I'm going.  And along the way, I'm becoming more and more willing.  I'm also becoming more and more excited!

Until next time,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...