Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reverb 10 - Prompt #31 - The Last Prompt

December 31 – Core Story. What central story is at the core of you, and how do you share it with the world? (Author: Molly O’Neill)

I think the central story at the core of me is that I have finally figured out what it means to trust this year.  I've learned to trust myself and my instincts.  I've learned to let people into my heart and trust them to be kind while they're there.  I've learned to trust that God has a plan and that at the end of the day, that is all that matters.

I've learned to trust the incredible strength that I possess (and for such a little Wing, at that)!  When I encounter a mountain, while it may be daunting to me (and you know I'm going to initially stress and worry about it), I will overcome it - slowly but surely.  When life threatens to knock me down, I have learned to trust the power of prayer and the support of good friends and family.

Trust is a scary little monster.  Trust is knowing that people can let you down but giving them the benefit of the doubt that they won't.  Trust is allowing someone to get to know who you really are; you have to set the fear that they won't like what they see aside.  Trust is letting someone know about where you've been and believing they won't hold it against you.  Trust is believing in yourself.  A quote I heard once that still resonates with me is, "Look in the mirror.  That's who's going to save you."

I think the way I share my core story with the world is through this blog.  I have rediscovered my love for the written word.  I love to share my thoughts, beliefs, ideas, and experiences with you!  I hope that there are times when something I post is something you can relate to.  I hope the sharing of mistakes I've made will turn into less mistakes for each of you.  I hope when I share a lesson I've learned the hard way that it will save you from the same fate.

Naturally, for those of you who know me in person, I'm always happy to share my core story and my history with you verbally.  Some people come to me and want my opinions and advice, and while I am careful with what I say, I always try to give an honest account of how I would react or just offer new perspectives.

I'm eternally grateful for Reverb 10.  It has caused quite the awakening for this blog, and for me as a writer.  In addition to forcing me to post more consistently, it has challenged me to really think about some of my experiences this year.  In fact, there are several things that I have shared in this blog that I never thought I would put "on paper," so to speak.  There were things that I would have much preferred to sweep under the rug and avoid until they went away. We all know that never happens.  Dust bunnies turn into elephants in the room.  Oh, you didn't know that?  You learn something new every day.

So, I think this was a great way to round out the prompts and it was a fantastic manner of self-reflection.  I was able to communicate my memories, thoughts, and dreams with the people of the interwebs, and I have to admit that it feels good.  I feel as though weight has been lifted and I am refreshed.  Thank you, Reverb 10, from the bottom of my heart.


Until next time,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...