Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What Memorial Day Is Really About

When you continually work really hard on whatever you're doing - whether it's your job, your family, your education, your hobbies, etc. - it's easy to think of holidays as the necessary breaks that you need to recharge your batteries.

While I believe that can also be true, it's important to remember the meaning and purpose of each holiday, as they have real significance.  Memorial Day is one of those holidays that some brush over because they are in desperate need of a three-day weekend.  It's a holiday that falls before most of us have our scheduled summer vacations, and it falls during a time of the year that is very busy for most.  But it's not just a three-day weekend.  It's so much more than that.

I received this picture in an inspirational email;  you know the kind - they have a message and they want you to keep sending the message on.  "Let's make sure this email gets around the world three times," they command.  Sometimes, they try to coerce you by threatening bad luck upon those who press 'delete' instead of 'send.'  Sometimes, though, the message really is good enough that you genuinely want to send it on with the hope that it will touch someone else the way it touched you.


Because this came from an email, I don't know who to source it to, but I definitely cannot claim ownership of it.  I wanted to share it with my Peeps because I think it drives home what Memorial Day is all about - the people who fought for the things we have.

I will give my weekend recap soon, and I hope you all enjoyed the holiday weekend.  I also hope you all took some time to remember why we have the holiday in the first place.  My thought is this:  If you won't stand behind the men and women who serve our country, feel free to stand in front of them.  I am so grateful for their many unselfish sacrifices, as they have provided us with the freedoms and liberties that we enjoy today.

God bless all the men and women who have served, are currently serving, and those who will serve our country!  I am so proud to live in the country they protect every day.

Until next time,
Miss Chicken Wing

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...