Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Two Days In One!


Okay, so I am technically a little late with this, but I figure there's no time like the present and better late than never! I hope you all had a very happy Valentine's Day weekend, and that you were able to have some fun.

I know that I did, and that's because Valetine's Day has always been two days in one for me. The obvious day is the "title" of the day - a day to share with a Valentine. The other is the most important one, though, because it's Momma Chicken Wing's birthday! Every year growing up, this has been the primary focus of the day for me, and I'm 100% fine with that. Why, you ask?

Well, the truth is that Valentine's Day bothers me a bit. There. I said it.

Valetine's Day is a day of romance and fanfare, and people professing their love to one another. It's a day of flowers and chocolates and cards and dinner reservations, and people are made to feel absolutely horrible if they don't do anything to celebrate it. (Yes, I've been guilty of that a time or two in my younger days, I'm ashamed to admit). As of late, I've kind of begun to wonder - what is all the fuss about?

I feel that, while it's nice to celebrate the one you love, it means more on, say, your anniversary. Now that is a day when you are celebrating togetherness. Valentine's Day, for me, has always been my mom's birthday, and that's where I'm happy leaving it. I think that you should focus on your partner every day, not just one day in February. It's important to give your loved one little tokens of your affection throughout the year - don't just save it up for one day and say "Ehh, but I pay attention to her/him on Valentine's Day." There's no guarantee that we'll make it to next Valentine's Day, so show the ones you love that you love them every day.

I can't say that I hate Valentine's Day. I don't, though I know some others that do. I mean, if you presented me with chocolates, I wouldn't turn them away. :) But, I also love getting a sweet text message or email just letting me know that I'm thought of. I love when it's suggested "let's go out to dinner tonight, just because." Those things mean more to me than the V-Day loot.

For those of you who absolutely love Valentine's Day - keep on keepin on! This post is not intended to knock anyone who puts major importance on the day - it's just a thought from a chicken wing's eye view.
So, to round out this post, I'm putting the focus back where it belongs - on Momma Chicken Wing.

We used this as a Christmas picture one time. It's Mom, me, Little Sister CW and Little Bro CW.

We had a great weekend with family and friends - we got to see both sets of grandparents, and Aunt J and Uncle R. We had paternal Grandma-made cupcakes and fudge, and the same pink, heart-shaped cake that my maternal Grandma has made for Momma Chicken Wing every single year since she was born. There was some good eating (including fried chicken - HOW DARE I!), Mexican dominoes, and the movies "Valentine's Day" and "Dear John." Both were good, by the way.

And, I think that again, the focus was where it needs to be - on love. We just go about it a different way.
So, I hope you all had a fantastic weekend, regardless of how you chose to celebrate it. I just hope that you found a reason to smile and appreciate life, because really...that's what it's all about.
Until next time,
Miss Chicken Wing

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...