Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Greatest Gift Of All

Clearly, everyone who has ever been on the internet is dying to know when my birthday is so they can send me a delightful gift.  After many denials of such vital information, I've decided to cave only because you all are so very important to me, and let's be honest, because I do love a delightful gift.  Yours truly was brought into this world on August 26th.  There, I said it.

Now, as far as gifts go, a girl could ask for sensible items such as ridiculously cute shoes, or that gorgeous new Coach purse.  She could ask for a fabulous dress that makes her feel like a million bucks, or she could ask for a new personal favorite gift of mine - a massage to get rid of all the stress in her life.  Some girls like a good book to curl up and read.  Some love things that are so sparkly they sear your corneas if you look directly at them.  (I'm not saying that I would say 'no' to that last one if you really, really wanted to give me that!) ;)

But this year, you will all have a very difficult time gifting me something better than my friend Nay has.  I'll tell you why.  She has beyond blessed me with the honor of standing beside her as she marries the absolute love of her life - her best friend, (and a good friend of mine), DK.

The thing about Nay is that, even though she is older than me, I've always been exceptionally protective over her.  She is genuinely one of the best people that has ever walked the face of this earth, and she is such a catch!  Lucky DK!  She is a fantastic cook, she is truly an artist (you should see her paintings), she does graphic design, she has a knack for looking flawless ALL THE TIME, and she is absolutely hysterical!  I mean, the girl will keep you rolling with her witty comments and one-liners.  Not to mention, she is absolutely GORGEOUS.  See?

Photo Credit:  Nay 
No matter what craziness we have encountered in the years that I've known her, she has always been there for me and she is one of the best listeners/advice givers I know.  I've always hoped and prayed that she would find the perfect man for her, and I am happy to say that I vividly remember the day that she did.

I was out at a fraternity party gathering at college, when all of a sudden, Nay ran up the stairs and said, "I have to tell you something."  So, we went to a place in the house that was more quiet, and she looked like she was about to pop!  I asked her what the deal was, and she immediately exclaimed, "I met someone!"  To be honest, I was in utter disbelief at first, because Nay just does not get super excited about men.  There were those that she liked, and those that she thought were attractive, but she expressed those things in a very reserved and nonchalant way.  This time was different.  So, naturally the next question I asked was, "Okay, well who is it?  Do I know him?"  She said that I did and that the guy she met was DK.

Photo Credit:  DK
Now, if I'm keeping it real, I was probably more in disbelief over this fact than the fact that she'd met someone.  Don't get me wrong - DK is an AMAZING guy.  But, he is also one of the last people you'd ever think Nay would go for (at first glance).  He was a member of one of the wildest most fun fraternities on campus and there were certain connotations that went along with that.  He was the lead singer of a band and just completely the opposite of what you would think Nay's type was (if you had asked me back then, I would have said, tall, dark, handsome, lawyer or do-gooder-type, possibly from a different country or world-traveled and cultured).

But here is what is important:  In the years that I had known her, I had never seen Nay light up the way she did when she talked about DK.  I knew in that very first moment that this one was different.  This one was special.  Like every couple, they had their ups and downs, but it was adorable to watch them all twitterpated, and it was awesome to see them as their relationship grew into a powerful and very real love.
So Cute!  Photo Credit:  DK
So, you can imagine my excitement when Nay called to tell me she was engaged, and she asked me to stand beside her as a bridesmaid.  I accepted with all the love and joy in my heart, and then she asked me if I would mind if she got married on my birthday.  Are you kidding me?  I get to hang out in a pretty dress, eat cake, dance and have dinner with tons of our friends, all while watching two people that I love so much committing their lives to one another?  YES PLEASE!  Sign me up for that!  I could think of no better way to spend my birthday than that.

So, that is why this year will be the best birthday ever!  I have to say a huge THANK YOU to Nay and DK for giving me the greatest gift of all - their love and friendship.  I could not be more proud if I tried, and I could not be happier for two people who deserve all the love and the happiness that life has to offer.  They are great for each other, and I am so incredibly excited to take part in their big day. 

Here's to friends!
Here's to love!
Here's to friends in love!

Until next time,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...