Thursday, August 26, 2010

To My Friends, On Their Wedding Day

Dear Nay,
I am going to try to control my emotions today, although they fill me so much that I don't believe the Hoover Dam could contain them.  Today is the day you will marry your best friend.  As one of your best friends, I could not be more happy for you or more proud of you.

I know that you are going to be one of the most beautiful brides this world has ever seen because you are one of the most beautiful women this world has ever seen.  I can't wait to see your face when you see DK for the first time.  I can't wait until I see you walk down the aisle towards your future. I know you will walk with such elegance, because you have always effortlessly exuded elegance.  As far as grace goes, we will have to see about that because you and I both know that if there is a hole in the ground to be stepped in or a wall to walk into, one of us will be the one to find it!  :)  (You didn't think I could be serious this entire time, did you?) 

I hope that one day I can get myself together as well as you have.  I want to be a domestic goddess, too, darnit!  Maybe you could teach me how to cook, or how to arrange things just so, to the point that your home looks like something out of Pottery Barn or Anthropologie.  Maybe you could teach me how to roll out of bed and automatically look fabulous, because that is one skill of yours I've been dying to emulate for years!  Teach me, woman!  Basically, what I'm saying is that I want to be like you when I grow up!

Thank you for being such an amazing friend and sister to me all these years.  Thank you for continually being there for me, and for calling me when I haven't called you in awhile.  Thank you for putting effort into our friendship, even with all the stresses and obligations of the real world and life, in general.  I appreciate and love you more than you could ever know, and thank you for giving me the honor of being by your side on a day such as today.  It's kind of a big deal, you know.

Love you,
Me


Dear DK,
Today, I am ready to celebrate you!  As the world of single men (and probably some married men too, let's be honest) mourns the loss of a chance with a great catch, you can rest assured that you have found one of the best women in the world.  Today, you will marry someone who loves you so, so much!  But you already know that.

I'd much rather take the time to just say thank you.  Thank you for making my best friend so happy.  Thank you for being cute with her.  Thank you for making her laugh.  Thank you for doing things with her - like literally jumping out of a plane with her.  Thank you for taking the time to leave her notes that simply say, "You're pretty."  My personal favorite that I've seen recently was when you told her you had put the bread in the fridge, and you threw in a "You're pretty" at the end of that very important message.  Thank you for being you, because you are who she loves, and that is a pretty great man if you ask me.

Thank you for always being so kind to me, too.  Even though I would love for you to tell me I'm pretty, I'm okay with you saving that for Nay.  I've always thought the world of you because I can tell that down to your core, you are a good guy.  Almost every memory I have of you involves you being kind to someone, no matter the circumstance.  I believe I've only seen you angry once in all these years, and even that was more of a mild frustration.  I've watched you grow up, and I've watched your priorities shift and I think you've done well - you've turned out just right!  I'm probably going to cry when I see you standing at the end of the aisle wearing the tie that I gave you (but never expected to play a part in your wedding day).  Thank you for including me today.  Oh, and I am going to demand that you make me more of your famous grilled cheese sandwiches.  :)

Love Always,
Me


To the pair of you:
This is my promise.  My love, devotion, and service to you does not end when the wedding is over today.  I actually take being a bridesmaid very seriously.  You won't need me every day.  Heck, you won't need me most days.  But in those moments when you do need someone, I will be there. 

If you need ears to listen to you, I will give you both of mine.  If you need shoulders to cry on, I will give you both of mine. If you need fresh eyes to look at a situation and offer new perspective, I will give you those too.  If you need hands to pick you up when you've stumbled, guess who will give them to you!  If you need a kidney, I can't make you any promises there, but I will at least go and get tested to see if I'm a match.  If you need a strong heart to love you and pray for you, please look no further than me.

As your bridesmaid, I will be on call to you 24/7/365 and 24/7/366 on leap years.  My support doesn't stop when the party does - you have it for the rest of your lives.  Use it and abuse it, because that's what it's there for. 

I love you both so much.

See you when you're married,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...