Thursday, April 21, 2011

Songs For Daddy


Dear Daddy,

If you're reading this, it's been sixteen years since I last saw you.  You were on your way to go fishing with your best friend, Charlie (which was one of your absolute favorite things to do).  It was a Friday.  If I'd known then that it would be the last time I'd ever see your face, I would have hugged you even tighter, kissed you on the cheek, and said 'I love you' a million times.  Actually, I probably would have refused to let you go.

We both know that life doesn't work like that, though, and I have to be satisfied with praying to God and asking Him to send you messages for me.  That's not a bad option, when you think about it, if I can't speak to you in person.  I want you to know that I've missed you every single day of these past sixteen years.  If you do the quick math, that's 5,840 days of missing you and loving you from here.

I hope they have golf courses and fishing holes in heaven, because I know you're enjoying yourself.  I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if they had big screen TV's, as well, so you can watch our beloved Tar Heels and Redskins and even the PGA tournaments that you loved so much.  Most of all, I hope you're happy with who we've all turned out to be.  I know that I've tried very hard to live my life in a way that would make you proud.  I hope that when we reunite in heaven one day, you can look me in the eyes, pat me on the back, and say 'you've done well.'

Every time I hear one of your favorite songs, it makes me think of you.  Every time I shoot, attend, or plan a wedding, I pay attention when the bride walks down the aisle with her father and when they share their father-daughter dance.  I say a quick prayer that they realize in that moment just how lucky they are to be able to spend that time together.  I try not to get down, though, because I can say that the one thing I have over everyone else is that my Daddy is with me all the time because he lives in my heart.

I miss you.  I love you.  Watch over me.  Until we meet again, I thought I'd put some songs in here that make me think of you or help me when I'm down.  I know there are people who read this blog and some of them even get inspired by what I have to say.  I also know that several of them have lost someone close to them, and they've been through the pain that I have.  So, I'd like to share these with them to help them through, too.  Here goes nothing.


Source


Source


Source


Source


Source

Until next time,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...