Monday, August 22, 2011

Oh, The Horror...And The Joy

One of my favorite and least favorite things about myself is that I can very easily see (and argue) both sides of just about anything.  While this is a good thing because I have little trouble relating to people in all kinds of situations and seeing someone else's point of view, it's also a very frustrating thing because I end up having a hard time deciding which side is the right side.

Case in point?  On Friday, I will be turning twenty-seven.  There, I said it.  The Chicken Wing will be another year older, and I can see the top of the hill that we all eventually go over.  Fact of life?  Sure.  Melodramatic?  Definitely.

On the one hand, I find myself completely overanalyzing my life - sometimes, it's hard to be a girl, y'all!  I find that as I get older, I do tend to revert back to my high-school mentality and I compare myself to other people.  Heck, more than half of my friends from high school are married and not just have one child - they have multiple children.  What?!?!?  We are totally not old enough for this to be happening - why am I constantly living an episode of "Sixteen and Pregnant?" 

But, it's time to face the facts, Chicken Wing.  We absolutely are old enough for this to happen.  People get married.  People have babies.  We really are grown-ups now.  That's life.  I guess I get a little hung up because I feel like maybe I'm a bit behind everyone else.

But, on the other hand, after I get done obsessively looking in the mirror and critiquing my progress in fighting the aging process, I have to have a laugh at my antics and smile real big (which undoubtedly will create more wrinkles on my face).  Why?  Because, let's face it - I have it pretty good. 

Yes, on Friday, I will be twenty-seven years old.  No, I am not married yet, nor am I engaged.  No, I don't have a gaggle of little chicks following me around.  Yes, I am still renting all these years later.  But, and there is a but....

I have multiple fabulous jobs when some people can't find one. 

Coworker/friend J-Man rocking the "WOW" face.

Full-time job family beach house dog pile!!!

Yes, that is my natural hair color (I'm in front!)

Part-time job = Full-time love!

I had the opportunity to go to and graduate from an amazing college and made some ridiculously awesome friends while there (to add to the ridiculously awesome friends I've had with me since childhood). 


College & Sorority sisters for life!  Alpha love!

My little sisters (both sorority and biologically)!

Love these girls like WHOA!

Two more college lady loves!  <3 my B & B!

So blessed to still have a lot of these Governor's School high school friends in my life!

You can take the girl out of the small town, but you can't take the small town out of the girl!

Best friends since Pre-K!

My little sissy growing up got married this year!  Love you to pieces, G-K!

I got set up on a blind date with literally the most amazing man I've ever met, and over the past year, he and I have created the kind of relationship that I've wanted my whole life. 

So in love with this man!

Thank you, sweet friends, for setting me up with the best gift I've ever received!

My family seriously rocks the most.  It's true, people, we're awesome.  You know it.  We know it.  Glad everyone's okay with that.

Tar Heels for life!

The Siblings Chicken Wing.

Everyone says we're twins!  What do you think?

Welcome to the family, Dubya!

I have the CUTEST furbabies on the planet.  Seriously, tell me I'm lying.  I dare you.

My heart swells with love and pride for these two! So.freaking.adorable.

So, here's to you, twenty-seven.  You may be taking another year off my life, but I laugh in your face.  Look back at all the pictures of what I've got (and if I posted pictures of EVERYONE I have in my life, I would certainly crash this blog).  Twenty-seven or not, who wouldn't want to be me?  That's why no matter my age, every year I can say that I will have a very happy and very blessed birthday.

Until next time,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...