Sunday, December 19, 2010

Reverb 10 - Prompt #17

December 17 – Lesson Learned. What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward? (Author: Tara Weaver)

The best thing that I learned about myself this past year was that for a tiny little Chicken Wing, I am one tough hen.  I can laugh in the face of adversity and put up my dukes when obstacles get in my face and challenge me to a dual.

I think that this is a lesson that everyone gets reminded of from time to time.  Humans are exceptionally resilient creatures - we were designed to endure.  Take a look at the elasticity of our skin, for example!  While it can be cut or torn if hit hard enough, it's incredibly flexible and defensive against wounds. 

As tough as I am, I have seen people who are much stronger than I.  They face sickness and foreign diseases that attack them brutally, and they handle themselves with grace and calmness throughout the duration.  I've seen people who have been hit very hard financially, and they do what they have to do to make things work.  I've seen people in impossible situations who no one would have blamed for losing their minds and crumbling under the weight of their problems stand up and rise above. I am no different.

In life, you have two options and that is to make it or not.  You only have one chance to live your life, and your life will be better once you accept that hard times are going to happen.  No one is entitled to "the easy road" or "the good life."  No one deserves to have the best of the best.  You do the best you can, and then you get to be proud of what you have accomplished because you worked hard for it.  There will be times when you have to decide between wants and needs, and when you learn to choose the needs, you'll find that you're actually more fulfilled!

That's the best thing that I've learned about myself this year, and I will apply this lesson in the future by constantly reminding myself of the age-old saying:  "It can only bring me down if I let it."  I will also push that lesson forward by encouraging others, as well!

Until next time,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...