Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Reverb 10 - Prompt #24

December 24 Prompt – Everything’s OK. What was the best moment that could serve as proof that everything is going to be alright? And how will you incorporate that discovery into the year ahead? (Author: Kate Inglis)

Thank you all for your patience as I celebrated a very Merry Christmas!  If I had been more on the ball, I would have had more posts scheduled for your reading enjoyment, but I was pretty much banking on the fact that you were all celebrating, too!  :)  (And to that end, I hope you all had a marvelous holiday filled with love, laughter, and precious memories!)

There actually was more than one moment this year that completely answer this post, and those moments were these:  when I experienced things as a single woman that I had previously experienced as part of a couple.

Now, these things are simple, yet daunting at the same time.  For example:  there is a completely different feeling and mood when you go to a wedding as part of a couple versus being a single woman.  When you're half of a whole, you have a guaranteed dance partner, and someone to mingle with, and you know that you at least know that one person at your table, and it's comforting.  When you're part of a couple, as you watch other people get married, a small part of you imagines when it will be your turn to take those all-important vows and commit your life to someone.

When you're single, all of the comfort of public events of this nature are gone.  You now have to jump without knowing if there's a net to catch you.  You singlehandedly control your destiny.  I am happy to report that I attended a wedding as a single girl and had a blast and a half.  I was so happy for the couple and I could have cared less if I had a date - that meant more talking and mingling for me.  When I rose to the challenge instead of shrinking into an insecure wallflower, I knew that everything was going to be okay - and more importantly, I was going to be okay.

Another event that took place was what I like to affectionately call the Bridget Jones Dinner Party or Other Social Gathering.  You've seen the movies, so you know what I mean.  It's the situation when you attend a dinner party or other social gathering and you are the only single person there.  Yes, that's correct - you are at a gathering full of couples and you are the sole person without a plus one.  {Insert awkward face and feelings of shame here.}

Since you're the only one who is alone, we'll put you at the head of the table. That way, we'll have the perfect vantage point to stare at you!
Again, I faced this little chestnut and conquered it!  I knew that everything was going to be okay!  I even celebrated family events without a special someone:  birthdays, holidays, and family beach trips, oh my!  It was definitely different, to be sure, but not horrible as I once thought it would be.

I made it through the valleys and learned to find nuggets of greatness in being single.  Once I learned to be happy with just me, I happened upon a certain unicorn named Comanche.  Life is great and I am still happy, only this time, I once again have someone to share life's little moments with.

I will take this amazing discovery that life will be okay into the next year, and the next year, and the year after that.  Things change.  Everything is going to be alright.  I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes from Paolo Coelho:

"Everything is okay in the end.  If it's not okay, it's not the end."

Until next time,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...